Learning goals here are to understand how data visualization techniques can help bring
complex data to life, how to design effective visualizations, and how to create intuitive,
meaningful, visualizations using enterprise standard applications. Course discussion will
explore techniques for visualizing multivariate, temporal, text-based, geospatial,
hierarchical, and network data. Using case studies drawn from variety of industries and
to explore the logic importance of visualizations in modern data analysis and
Outcomes. On successful completion of the course, the students shall be able to :
- Understand how data visualization can enhance management through telling
- stories with data.
- Understand and apply principles of data visualization.
- Critically evaluate visualizations and suggest improvements.
- Design and implement standard visualization techniques.
- Use principles of human cognition in visualization design.
- Rapidly prototype visualizations for business storytelling.
Concepts and theories to which students are exposed during the course:
- Data cleansing,
- Human cognition,
- Data sets and types,
- Design dimensionality,
- Digital storytelling,
- Graphical integrity,
- Information design,
- Positional, temporal, and retinal catégories,
- Principles of perception,
- Simple and compound marks.